Information for Tenants

Information for Tenants


This document explains the application process and what information you need to provide to us and referencing providers and also the referencing requirements. If you have any questions, please do not
hesitate to ask.

Tenancy Application / References

You will need to pay a holding deposit, this is equivalent to one weeks rent. Once the holding deposit is received legislation dictates that the tenancy paperwork should be completed within 15 days. This can be extended by mutual agreement.

The holding deposit is not a fee, it forms part of your first months rent. Circumstances in which you holding deposit can be retained by Michael Brooker include.

  • If the tenant fails a Right to Rent check regardless of when the deposit was accepted;
  • If the tenant provides false or misleading information to the landlord or letting agent, which the landlord is reasonably entitled to consider in deciding whether to grant the tenancy because this materially affects their suitability to rent the property;
  • If the tenant notifies the landlord or letting agent before the Deadline for Agreement that they have< decided not to enter into the tenancy agreement;
  • If the tenant fails to take all reasonable steps to enter into a tenancy agreement.

All persons over the age of eighteen who are the named Tenants on the Tenancy Agreement will need complete a reference form. We use an independent credit reference agency called Homelet, to obtain references. They will contact your employer, landlord if you have one and conduct a credit check.

The referencing company work on affordability criteria for income, this is listed below:

The rental figure x 30 is the minimum household income that you will need to earn. For example, an £850pcm rent would need to confirm a minimum household income of £25,500.

For self-employed applicants, the calculation is the same but that figure needs to be the net income.

Once we are in receipt of completed references, will confirm that the Landlord is happy to proceed and then prepare the tenancy paperwork and book the check in.

Michael Brooker will provide you with the ‘How to Rent Guide’ which will give you guidance on becoming a Tenant. You will also be provided with copies of the Gas Safety Certificate, if applicable, the Electrical Installation Condition Report and the Energy Performance Certificate.

Tenancy Agreement

You will receive a specimen tenancy agreement at the start of the tenancy application. It is your responsibility to read and understand this agreement as this sets out the obligations of the Landlord and the Tenant.

You will not be asked to pay any fees or charges in connection with your application for a tenancy. However, if you application is successful, under our standard Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement you will be required to pay certain fees for any breach of that tenancy agreement in with wit the Tenant Fees Act 2019. In consideration of us processing your tenant application, you agree to pay those fees to us on request.

Inventory and Schedule of Condition

An inventory of the contents and condition of the property will be prepared at the start of your tenancy. This document will be compared with the condition of the property at the end of the tenancy and will determine if any deductions are to be made for anything that would be considered above standard wear and tear. It is important that you check and agree the document within 7 days of receiving it and agree any changes you wish to make.

Rental Payments

Rent is payable in advance and by standing order. Payment should be made at least three days in advance to ensure that they arrive with us/the Landlord on time. Michael Brooker cannot set up these payments.

At the end of the tenancy is your responsibility to cancel your standing order Michael Brooker cannot do this and any payments made will be returned within 7 days.

Property Visits

All properties managed by Michael Brooker will be subject to regular property visits. The purpose is the check the condition of the property and the way the tenancy is being conducted. An appointment will be made in advance with the tenant and the visits will be undertaken periodically throughout the year.


The tenant is responsible for paying all utility bills, (council tax, water, sewage, gas and electricity) as well as telephone, TV and internet charges. The meter readings will be taken at the start of the tenancy and recorded on the inventory. Michael Brooker will switch the council tax, water and sewage, gas and electricity into your name at the start of the agreement. But it is your responsibility to cancel your accounts at the end of your agreement.

Contents Insurance

The Landlord is responsible for the insurance of the building (only). You are strongly advised to take out insurance with a reputable insurer for your possessions as such possession will not be covered by any insurance the Landlord has.

Right to Rent

Michael Brooker have a legal obligation to check the Right to Rent of all occupants over the age of 18 living in the property. For UK and Irish nationals, we will need to see your passport and take a copy, for overseas nationals we will need to obtain a copy of your Right to Rent share code. Please note this is different from the Right to Work.

Do you want to know what your property is worth?

Request an appraisal

Can't find what you are looking for?

Contact us today